1.1 Statement of Intent
Ethical Event Staffing LTD recognises that it has a responsibility to protect the environment and by exerting proper control over our activities, we will promote the use of sustainable resources and discourage practices that are wasteful or damaging to the environment. Ethical Event Staffing’s mission is to deliver consistent and reliable staffing solutions, whilst making a positive contribution to society and our shared future.
We aim to manage our operations with pioneering environmental practices and social responsibility at their core. We endeavour to play a leadership role, inspiring audiences, the wider events industry and society to make positive changes that contribute to happiness and a positive future for all life on the planet.
1.2 Policy Purpose
We are committed to having the lowest possible negative impact on the natural world, and endeavour to make a net positive contribution by:
- Actively measuring and monitoring environmental impacts
- Minimising the overall carbon (C02e) impact(s)
- Reducing waste and managing disposal responsibly
- Reducing supply chain impacts of all types
- Identifying and capitalising on positive behaviour change opportunities
- Managing relationships with fairness and social responsibility
1.3 Ethical Event Staffing LTD Commitment
Our staff have been trained to recycle and minimise the production of waste as far as is practical, to reduce the environmental impact of our business activity.
In the office environment, where appropriate and practicable, we will:
- Minimise our use of paper, for example by double-siding all paper used, and identifying opportunities to reduce waste by sending information digitally
- Arrange for the reuse or recycling of office waste, including paper, computer supplies and redundant equipment
- Measure and record our waste so we can monitor our environmental impact on the environment and work to improve our recycling statistics
- Reduce the energy consumption of office equipment by purchasing energy efficient equipment
- Minimise electrical consumption by switching off electrical appliances when not in use for long periods or overnight, including lights, printers, computers, computer monitors, heaters and mobile phone chargers
- Minimise waste by using washable crockery, cutlery, cups, glasses, etc., rather than paper plates, plastic cups, etc.
- Use green energy suppliers, and review annually to gain benefits from market developments
- Reduce water consumption through only filling kettles as full as required and not always to capacity
- Reduce water consumption by washing crockery, cups, glasses, etc by hand as opposed to using dishwashers
- Reduce plastic waste by drinking tap water in glasses and or using reusable bottles instead of purchasing plastic bottles
- Reduce electrical consumption by using LED lights and sensors which are movement sensitive
- Reduce waste generation by only buying perishable goods when required and in appropriate quantities for office staff
We are committed to reducing the impact of our business activities on the environment. To this end, where appropriate and practicable, we will attempt to minimise our carbon footprint by:
- Encouraging all staff to either carpool or utilise sustainable forms of public transport
- Considering the environmental impact of our operations in respect to required personal & business travel
- Providing information on public transport to client locations
- Encouraging the use of more fuel-efficient transport alternatives where public transport is unavailable
- Avoid unnecessary journeys to meetings by using video conferencing technology such as Google Meet / Slack for business
- Position our offices and training spaces in locations where they are easy to access by public transport to minimise the amount of car travel
We will also:
- Use public transport to attend meetings and site visits unless in exceptional circumstances where the alternatives are impractical and/or cost prohibitive
- Make the costs of more sustainable forms of transport transparent in our financial proposals
- Avoid physically travelling to meetings where alternatives are available and practical, such as using teleconferencing, or web cams, and efficient timing of meetings to avoid multiple trips
- These options are also often more time efficient, while not sacrificing the benefits of regular contact with clients and partners.
- Reduce the need for our staff to travel by supporting alternative working arrangements, including home working etc.
- We have introduced electronic timesheets using an app which will support our operations whilst further reducing our use of paper
- We have introduced the use of shared electronic project working applications such as Google Drive, Asana and Slack which allow multiple users to use one shared document without the need to print multiple sheets
- We have linked smart phones with laptops to support greater sharing of information within the Recruitment and Operations team – which is a move away from paper resources
- We have also introduced a storage device for us to save our work remotely on which allows easier work from home reducing the travel requirements of our full-time staff
- In addition, we also now have the IT capability for us to monitor remotely the amount of printing performed by all out sites so we can identify much more easily any unnecessary waste of paper and ink
- Purchase Fair Trade or sustainably produced products from local businesses where possible
- Order printed stationery (letterheads, envelopes, etc.) from a printer with commendable environmental principles and with a responsible environmental policy
- Favour suppliers who use little packaging or remove packaging as part of their supply contract and obligations and who operate according
- We will develop plans to improve the environmental performance of our suppliers and contractors
- Use local suppliers where possible to reduce “fuel miles”
- Purchase Recycled products and in particular avoid purchasing products which contain unnecessary plastic packaging
- Purchase office space on rental agreements from environmentally conscious and friendly buildings which have clear data in relation to energy efficiency and waste minimization
- Use non-ozone depleting chemical products and materials
- Provide an environment free of hazardous materials
In our experience, most large venues operate a recycling process. Our staff are made aware to act responsibly in terms of the environment and we encourage the client to communicate any recycling policy that the venue holds.
Where appropriate and practicable we will:
- Provide clearly labelled containers for material to be recycled, with notices of what can and cannot be recycled
- Recycle cardboard, glass, aluminium
- Return all toners and print cartridges to suppliers or recyclers
- Advertise redundant furniture and equipment for re-use or donate to charitable causes
- Encourage our customers to take positive actions in areas such as transport, recycling and purchasing
- Recycle all paper waste, including shredded confidential documents
- Recycle all plastic waste, including packaging and containers
Employees & Client Awareness Actions
Where appropriate and practicable we will:
- Provide environmental education for employees, encouraging both them and clients to behave in an environmentally responsible manner e.g. electronic newsletter
- Use signs and notices as reminders, e.g. notice boards
- Include relevant information in new employees’ orientation such as the information detailed in this policy
- Encourage existing staff to set examples for new employees
- Create awareness of the benefits to the environment of commuting by walking, cycling or using public transport, whilst noting other constraints such as personal safety
- Make information on recycling systems at Ethical Event Staffing’s premises and our clients’ sites available to all staff
- Host engagement events to raise staff awareness of environmental issues and encourage behavioural change which will contribute to achieving environmental excellence
- Add questions on sustainability and the environment to our assessment sessions
We have applied ISO 26000 as a framework to integrate and implement social responsibility initiatives into our values and practices. Our policy is closely aligned with the guidance offered within ISO 26000.
About ISO 26000
ISO 26000 is an International Standard giving guidance/recommendations about how any organisation can improve its Social Responsibility and thus contribute to sustainable environmental, social and economic development. ISO 26000 provides guidance to those who recognize that respect for society and environment is a critical success factor. As well as being the “right thing” to do, application of ISO 26000 is increasingly viewed as a way of assessing an organisation’s commitment to sustainability and its overall performance.
Environmental Sustainability – Affiliations & Industry Partnerships
Ethical Event Staffing LTD is a vision aligned partner of the following organisations and stakeholders:
Kambe Events: https://www.kambe-events.co.uk/
Association of Independent Festivals: https://aiforg.com/
Vision 2025: https://www.vision2025.org.uk/
Ethical Event Staffing LTD recognises that reducing impacts is an on-going process of improvement, and that resource and budget constraints will necessitate a pragmatic approach and prioritisation. However, we are committed to a process of reviewing our performance annually in order to identify successes and improvements, informing changes to strategy.
This Environmental Policy will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Company Directors.